Taking care of an epic elder amounts to a major investment in time, emotion, stamina, and love. The every-day decisions can be daunting. Be grateful if you have someone to help you – a brother, a sister, a cousin, a spouse. Gather your team and work together!
Here’s a list of the top 5 ways to work together to help your elderly loved one:
1. Communicate – Make sure you are working with your team. You need to talk to the nurses, the aides, the caregivers, and your family. Everyone needs to be informed. Everyone needs to be working toward the same goal. Everyone needs to be on the same page and stay on the same page in order to work together in making the best decisions.
2. Be aware – Make frequent observations of your loved one. Is she eating well? Is he getting up and moving? Is she talking and engaging with others? Does he seem sad or happy? How well is your loved one adjusting to her caregiver? It’s so necessary to take a measurement of the current situation, frequently. The situation changes often. You need to keep on top of it.
3. Divide and conquer – So many tasks and so little time. Split up the duties among the team to make the most efficient use of your time and effort. Someone can talk to the doctors. Someone can talk to the caregivers. Someone can deal with the monthly bills. Someone can order groceries. If you have no team, at least get a schedule for yourself to deal with the weekly and monthly chores. Putting time into planning can relieve daily stress.
4. Create a resource list. You and your team should have a ready list of phone numbers and e-mails of doctors, caregivers, insurance providers, financial managers, tax preparers, housekeepers, handyfolks, and helpful neighbors. Make a shared document, and be diligent about updating it.
5. Share the love. Frequently affirm everyone on your team. Be grateful for their involvement and their support. It’s hard for everyone involved. Everyone has his/her own family responsibilities and time commitments. It’s difficult to be the caregiver for anyone. Ask a parent!
These beautiful Epic Elders have invested their time and effort and love into you. It’s your time to return the favor and keep the circle of life flowing. Work together as a team. You will be a blessing, and you will be blessed.
If you or an aging loved-one are considering Elder Care Services in Orlando FL, please contact the caring staff at Flourish in Place Home Care Solutions today. Proudly serving Orange, Osceola, Seminole, and Brevard Counties. Call 407-845-9797.